Youth Employment Training
West Park Teen Job Club
Teen Job Club is for 8th-12th graders and held on Wednesdays from 4-5:30pm starting October 5th. It is organized and staffed by youth professionals from West Park MyCom’s neighborhood lead agency, Bellaire-Puritas Development Corporation and is hosted by the John Marshall Campus, but open to students from any school. Guest speakers, leadership opportunities, and field trips are part of the club experience.
Call 671-2710 ext. 218 or email Vanessa to register.
West Park MyCom Summer Job Jumpstart for Teens
Saturday, April 29, 2017
10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Registration at 9:30 a.m.
16700 Puritas Ave. Cleveland, OH 44135
in Gunning Recreation Center
College & Career Summer tours
We took tours of worksites of interesting careers and colleges this summer. Get a peak into one of our tours:
MyMedia is an eight week after-school program:
* Teaching Journalism,
* Video production,
* Creating a WordPress blog and
* Producing a short documentary about a topic they feel effects their community.
Applications are due by September 11th at 4:00pm.
By the end of the session, students will have learned about:
* Information gathering,
* Journalistic storytelling techniques,
* Interviewing techniques,
* Video shot composition, and
* Professional video editing on Adobe Premiere Pro.
Any students between the ages of 13 and 17 that you may know with an interest in either writing or video production are encouraged to apply, prior experience is not necessary.
The fall session are held at the Ideacenter, 1375 Euclid Ave, Cleveland 44115
* September 22th, 4:30pm to 7:30pm and will continue
* Every Tuesday until November 10th.
Snacks, dinner and bus passes for the students
Students will also receive a stipend for their work.
Computer training and credentialing
Coming again… for the Fall 2016 Semester!
Teens learned great IT networking skills this summer and earn a credential from Microsoft that can help them land a job! Online registration
Career training in the music industry
11-18 year olds
July 11-15, 2016 only! See the flier here
More jobs for our teens…
paid internships, stipended positions, and career development programs:
- Youth Opportunities Unlimited (Y.O.U.) hires thousands of teens every summer. Youth can apply for summer jobs. http://www.youthopportunities.org/ until May 2, 2016. Attending the West Park Teen Job Club may improve your chances of being selected for an interview.
- Cleveland Public Power Student to Internship Program for graduating seniors of CMSD schools who are looking for paid on-the-job training in one of the following careers: line worker, cable splicer, electric meter installer, transformer repair worker, low tension line worker, line helper driver, or gas turbine mechanic. CDL driver training included. Learn more here and in this video.
- The ArtWorks program will hire teen apprentices who will be entering 10th, 11th, 0r 12th grade this Fall to work this summer in fashion, theater, visual art, and recording arts technology co-ops. They will be hired to create the artwork but gain job-training and 21st century skills. Workshops will be planned including financial literacy and workplace diversity. No arts experience is required! Applications are also available at: www.arts-inspiredlearning.org/artworks/ Deadline April 1st.
- Cleveland Public Theatre is hosting teens this summer in their highly-acclaimed STEP (Student Theater Enrichment Program) Program. Auditions are in March every year.
- Get paid by the Cleveland Botanical Garden to grow veggies all summer at one of six urban learning farms as a member of Green Corps if you are 14-18 years old.http://www.cbgarden.org/lets-learn/green-corps.aspx (application extended to April 5)
- Mayor Frank G . Jackson’s Summer Youth Employment Program (YEP) has three different offerings to those who apply before April 1st: 1.) jobs available to randomly-selected Y.O.U. registrants, 2.) internships in administration, building management, engineering, graphic arts & design, information technology, journalism, marketing, science labs, and videography (requires Y.O.U. registration and internship application and follow-up essay), or 3.) paid class/part-time employment in environmental science in partnership with CSU that results in college credits (requires Y.O.U. registration and internship application and follow-up essay).
- Mar. 1st is the deadline for 9th graders to apply for the 2016 Law and Leadership Summer Institute (June 27-29th, 9am-4-pm), the beginning of 4 year program that has field trips, internships, mock trials, and opportunities to meet judges and attorneys and explore a career in law. The program, lunch, and transportation are free. www.lawandleadership.org Contact Vanessa at BPDC for an application.
- Cleveland Clinic Internships available this summer! Deadline to apply is Jan. each year, and it requires recommendations from school staff: www.civiceducation.clevelandclinic.org
- Cleveland Clinic Louis Stokes Internship Program: 100 paid summer workforce experiences in allied health positions. Registration closes Thursday, March 31 at 5pm. You must be currently in 9th grade to apply an live in Cleveland or East Cleveland and have an interest in nursing, physical therapy, sports therapy, or another allied health career AND apply at www.youthopportunities.org. Call 216-776-3900 or email summerjobsprogram [at] youthopportunties.org for more info.
- Cleveland Metroparks was looking to fill seasonal positions with people 16 years old and above at three job fairs: http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/Main/SeasonalJobs.aspx.
- Seasonal Job Opportunities: Sportservice is looking to expand their all-star team AT newly renovated Progressive Field. For part time seasonal positions, apply online or email clevebaseball [at] delawarenorth.com.
Summer Job Jumpstart
April 9, 2016
Check-in at 9:45am
Register now for the West Park MyCom Summer Job JumpStart training & job fair at Gunning Recreation Center for youth 14-18 years old, being held with youth Opportunities Unlimited as a key partner…
RSVP for the Jumpstart here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TGD2PPH
Questions? Call Vanessa at 216-671-2710 ext. 218 Download the flier here
Our Summer Workers ROCK!
- Read about BPDC/West Park MyCom’s summer workers from Y.O.U. to see the contributions they made to our community here or check out this video of Elissia (click on her picture below), who is a leader who also excelled in her summer job with Y.O.U. You could be just like her!